Saturday, January 1, 2011

Kitchen and Mold: A Tasty Treat

Over the years (5) to be precise our kitchen has been many different things. It has been an orange 1986 horror, and $100 fix up, and what it is right now, NEW! When we moved into the house I hated the kitchen because it looked like an orange nightmare.My husband C told me he didn't care what I did to the house he just didn't want to be involved in any shape of form and I had to pay for everything out of my income. I had great ideas already in my head. I pictured hardwood floors, granite counter tops, and nice crisp white cabinets with and antique finish.Three weeks after we moved in my husband was laid off from his job as an Insurance Agent. C hate being an Agent so I held down the fort while he found what he wanted to do. So my dreams of the perfect kitchen were derailed a bit.  

So the white cabinets ended up yellow and the frosted glass inserts became toile wallpaper inserts with ceramic apple handles. The counter top I painted a faux finish in yellow,brown, and red.The whole kitchen makeover cost under $100 and I was happy with it other than the last obstacle.
 The floor was still a horror as you can see in this old picture.




After we had been in the house a few years we had a baby boy we call Goo. He was born early and had a few problems so the rest of the remodel (cheap as it was) was put on hold. Then one day when Goo was two I was watching dishes. Yes, washing them not putting them in the dishwasher (that's a whole different post). I smelled something terrible. It smelled like Goo needed a diaper change. I took him into the living room and discovered that he didn't need a change. I went back into the kitchen but still smelled that nasty smell. So I took out the garbage. I still smelled it. I started to look around to see what it was. I took all my cleaning supplies out from under the sink and what did I discover????

MOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was everywhere under the sink, up the wall and we soon discovered it had creeping its way under the tile from hell and it had to go. The whole kitchen was a gut job. We took our dimensions and found that stock cabinets in unstained Oak would cost $1900. That wasn't too bad but one day while stopping in at Lowe's on a whim we discovered they were closing out a few cabinet lines and we were able to get Hickory in a natural finish instead. We were also able to get the whole kitchen cabinets for under $800!!!! We then decided to put in granite tile instead of a slab and we saved another $1500, plus we learned how to tile. Since it is so popular we decided to add a glass Mosaic back splash but to make it affordable we added tin tiles with an embossed pattern. We kept the old sink my parents bought us a new dishwasher, the in-laws bought us a new stove and we sprung for laminate floors in a heart pine pattern. So far the whole kitchen has cost us $2500. I will post more pictures as we go along. There is a lot to this kitchen and a lot of stupid mistake to take on one at a time.


Join me for the next post: How to Really Paint Kitchen Cabinets and what you really don't want to do.

1 comments:

  1. Nice post of Kitchen and Mold... Thanks for this great info for remove mold from kitchen You are providing such amazing and informative post. Great Job!
    Mold inspection arizona

    ReplyDelete