Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Build your own Toy Kitchen #2

Build your own Toy Kitchen

Virginia's directions for building your own Ikea-based toy kitchen:

I took a RAST table and built off of that. First I added a sheet of 1/4 inch birch ply to make a back. Then I used the scraps to divide the shelf inside into 2 halves. I used another scrap to make a door and 2 to trim out the place where the knobs would go and for the "kickplate". I spent 10 bucks on the wood (I asked if they had any scraps they could sell in lieu of a large sheet). They did the cuts for free.

To assemble it, I used wood glue and screws. I added ATTEST knobs to the front and PANNA coasters for burners. I cut a hole in the top and used an old bowl I had lying around for a sink. For the shelf to store dishes, I found a small GRUNDTAL shelf in the bathroom section. I cut another piece of scrap wood to make the shelf more suitable for storing items.
A few GRUNDTAL "S" hooks are perfect for hanging pots and pans. The spoons, etc are stored in a FNISS pen/pencil holder. It was all a little low, so I bought NUMERAR legs to bring it up to play height. I had planned to add a handle for the door and a tile backsplash, but I ended up leaving it as is.

Thanks so much for sharing this inspiring project, Virginia!
Edited to add: Virginia took the time to draw up the following schematic and dimensions, for those who are interested in making this kitchen. Thanks again, Virginia!
kitchen-plans.jpg


0 comments:

Post a Comment