Friday, January 20, 2012

TIME OUT! (My first post!)

As you read in the "About Me" post I have a 3 year old.  Overall she really is a great kid.  She is genuinely sweet and helpful.  However, even good kids have bad days. 

When my oldest, we'll call her "Spice", was a toddler we quickly learned that she had a mind of her own.  She loved emptying drawers, dumping out laundry baskets, and causing all sorts of havoc.  At about 18 months we realized that it was getting a little out of hand and she was no longer listening. 

That's when we started TIME OUT. 

What a lifesaver!  Since then it has worked miracles!  It may not work for every child, but it works great for Spice. 

Once we found out how great time out was working, I wanted to make a special time out chair, so we had some consistency. 

That's when I created this little beauty...


And it was super easy!

Supplies:
- a step stool or small chair (I got mine at Michaels for about $4)

-paint choice of your color (I chose red because I wanted it to be kind of like a STOP sign.  To me time out is less about punishment, and more about removing the child from the situation so they can regroup and calm down)

-vinyl lettering or a contrasting paint for the words

-Clear coat spray (I learned this the hard way when I discovered little red scuffs on my walls and floor)

Directions:
1. Paint your stool/chair.  Allow to dry completely.

2. Apply or paint "TIME OUT"

3. Spray one or two clear coats on to protect your work.  Allow to dry completely.

4. Stand back and admire your work!


Well I look forward to posting more in the future!  Check back it next week for my take on a Menu board.

0 comments:

Post a Comment