Monday, April 4, 2011

Keys, Keys, Where are the Keys???

Modern Key
 Growing up my mother always stressed organization. It was very important to her as she has what she likes to refer to as "Vision Problems". Our house was always spotless and you knew exactly where everything was at all times. I aspire to this. Le Chateau has been for a long time in a state of flux. A nice way of saying it's unorganized and cluttered. When you are missing ceilings and sinks, it's easy to get in the flux state. This drives me crazy and it drives C crazy too! We are constantly looking for way to combat this. One of the ways C and I do that is by our Keys! We have two of them. My Mother and Father always had one of them hung up within hours of moving and we moved around a lot. It makes where ever I am seem like home. The one on the right I actually made and it hangs by the back door. The moment I walk in I hang up my keys and I never have to look for them.
Old Fashioned Key

This key was made by my father and it hangs by the front door. He gave it to me for my wedding. He said it was so I would always have the key home if I ever needed it. His way of saying he would always be there for me. It means even more to me now as my Father struggles with Kidney Cancer. There is so much love in all the little details in this key.

You can make one to (you'll have to add your own love though).



You just need the following:
  1. A nice pine board. (Don't go cheap if you want an Heirloom plywood is for sissies!)
  2. A template for your key. You can use this one. Simply print out and blow up with a standard copier. (The old fashioned one my mother drew by hand without a template)
  3. Cut out the template and tape it to your pine board.
  4. Use a jigsaw to cut out the key.
  5. SAND, SAND, SAND!
  6. Decorate how you want.(the one I made is stained walnut and poly'ed to make it durable and shine. Dad's is stained oak and then he used a drimel tool to make the notch marks and a heat gun to scorch it a bit)
  7. Drill 2 holes on each end to attach to the wall.
  8. Add the hooks for your keys. Space them how you want and as many as you want.
  9. Hang on wall right next to the door!
If you make one let me know. I'd love to see what you come up with!


2 comments:

  1. love it!, very nice job. thanks for sharing it at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never know where my keys are... well, I'm getting a little better!
    great idea, sweet story about your dad. Hoping your dad is doing well today.
    thanks for linking up!
    gail

    ReplyDelete