Monday, February 7, 2011

How I stained the New Vanity!


The top of the vanity before the new stain

The vanity was old and very dingy plus it had some nasty scratches in it I had to use wood putty on. I found wood putty in Dark Walnut and it blended right in. 






I used Minwax Dark Walnut


I found Minwax Dark Walnut and I was excited beyond belief. I love dark Earth tones. C likes pastels and yes this is a point of contention amongst us. 
The Vanity gets much darker

The stain as I paint it on


 
So, you paint the stain one in the direction of the wood grain. DO NOT GO AGAINST THE GRAIN THIS IS A VERY BAD MISTAKE!!!!
Let the stain sit for around 5 minutes. Do not try to let it sit longer... This makes it get very sticky and it becomes hard to get off..

Then wipe the stain off also in the direction of the wood grain. Let the object sit for at least 24 hours and then varnish the project. Varnish is an important as it adds shine. (I love shine! I'm a full gloss kind of girl!) Plus varnish also adds a layer of protection. When you have the proper layer of protection down on a surface that will have a lot of water on it IE a sink vanity in a bathroom it will make it so the water beads up. You can then simply wipe the water away and not worry about the water penetrating the surface causing warping and rotting! No more mold in this house please!

I didn't include the varnish pictures because I think that it deserves it's own post....

0 comments:

Post a Comment