Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Living Room or the Master Bedroom.. Design by Democracy

When C and I bought the Chateau it had blue carpet in the living room. It was covered in pet excrement and where there was a spot free of poo it had cigarette burns from the chain smoking nasty folks we purchased the place from. Yeah, I can't even begin to describe that smell to you…

   The day we got the keys we pulled up the carpet and threw it away! It didn't get rid of the smell completely but cinnamon scented pine cones did. Being newlyweds and new home owners we needed a cheap fix for the floor and carpet just wasn't in the budget after buying a fridge plus washer and dryer. So C and I walked around Home Depot trying to figure out what to do. C was convinced we should use pull and stick vinyl tiles but the thought made me less than happy. He dragged me to the aisle and showed me the huge array of colors, textures, and patterns. I was amazed that there was so many and that it was so cheap, I feel in love. It was $14.00 a box, each box covered almost 120 feet. It is now A LOT more expensive. A few months ago when I went to price it for the kitchen it had gone up to $35.00 a box. I discovered it was cheaper to put laminate in the whole downstairs than it was to put the pull and stick in just the kitchen. I hate laminate! It has a funny feel to it when you walk on it and it drives me crazy. I envisioned gorgeous hardwood floors gracing my house in a dark tone. However, with the value of our townhouse plummeting every day (or so it seems) it is beyond stupid to put in hardwood when the market can't sustain that sort of investment. Did I just sound like I'm in accounting there??? Whoa day job sneaking into the blog world. C convinced me to go to this new store called Floor and Decor Outlets and when we did we saw tons of wonderful colors and styles. The possibilities seemed endless. Once again I was in love. I threw my prejudices out the window and we bought Heart Pine.

Heart Pine flooring 7mm



 However, we installed it in the kitchen and half way down the hall. I have enough to do either the master bedroom or the living room.

Here is the dilemma.... Get ready now Because it is a doozy!!!!

We have enough flooring for one of two rooms. I need to pick one and let the other one wait until we get our next bit of remodel cash.

The living room would be completely done with a few small, okay I lie huge projects.

  1. Use the Oops paint and actually paint the living room.
  2. build that awesome entertainment center I have the plans for.
  3. Caulk the crown molding that has been on my "to do list since 2006"
  4. install the flooring.
The Master bedroom has a lot more issues before we can call it done. They are as follows:

  1. Pull up old carpet and replace the sub floors. Currently the sub floor is so warped that it makes you queasy as you walk from one side of the room to the other.
  2. Install the new flooring
  3. Paint
  4. install lighting
  5. Get the HOA from Hell to approve new French doors (maybe some that close and aren't a wind tunnel for draft testing.)
  6. replace the door to the closet
  7. Paint the fabulous new built in bookcase/TV/computer space


So most of me wants the Bedroom done or a step closer but part of me thinks go with the practical. After all how many people do you have traipsing through your bedroom as compared to your living room...


My loyal readers I put it to you. Which room gets flooring the living room or the master bedroom???

Leave a comment and let me know what you think...

0 comments:

Post a Comment