Friday, February 25, 2011

A new weekly feature! Oops Paint what a Delight!

Welcome to Falling Down House's new feature called "Houses that Inspire". My sister-in-law (Laura) has done some wonderful work on her house with paint found in the Oops section of home improvement stores.

If you are unfamiliar with Oops paint it is when a customer asks the paint department to mix a color but after it is mixed the customer is unhappy with the it and opts not to make the purchase. The store is then forced to sell the paint for a very reduced price. Below you will find in Laura's own words her Oops success:


Computer room was painted light rosy pink from a gallon of oops paint. The reason why I picked this was because I knew the curtains I had in that room had a bunch of pink flowers and the giant painting had pink undertones. The boys including your brother pitched a fit when they saw the walls painted (boob) pink without furniture. After I added the curtains, the furniture, and the painting, they liked it.  Every time I mention that I want to change the color, he tells me I can't.

 Family room was painted this light grass green from a gallon of oops paint. I picked this one off the shelf because I thought it would match the green in the window swag and the green leaves in the rugs. I happened to be right and the 5 dollars wasn't such a gamble after all.





 The master bathroom color is our latest project. It was oops paint found by my husband. He brought my attention to it and said that it would match our bathroom rug. We had a large light blue rug with navy blue designs in our master bathroom. I wanted to make sure, but he convinced me it was only 5 dollars and it was worth the money if it matched and then went back to find it was gone. We took it home and found out that it matched the rug perfectly. Unfortunately lee shook up the paint without knowing I had removed the lid earlier and not pounded it back with a hammer. The paint ended up all over the inspiration rug and my beautiful rug could not be saved. Fortunately there was enough paint left to cover the bathroom walls. The white and blue stripes around the tub were to make up for the rug being gone and to match the hand towels.



So inspired by Laura's success I started looking at the Oops paint and just a few weeks ago I found the exact color I wanted to paint my living room in the old Chateau Ghetto. It is called Tangerine Dream (don't worry it isn't as scary as it sounds). I scored a galleon of Deep Base paint for a whopping $5.00! I'm doing some repair work to the walls right now before painting begins but I promise I will post all about it.

I hope your Oops inspired too! Now run out and check your paint department and report back with your success. We will have a link party in the future where you can share your results!

0 comments:

Post a Comment