Thursday, June 9, 2011

Let's Just Take a Walk!

You would have to have been hiding under a rock for the last several years to not know that the Housing Market went bust and one of the places that was hit the hardest was Las Vegas, Nevada. Over the last 2 years I have watched a lot of my friends fight to save their homes. I have seen them fight hard. In the end every single one of them have lost.

 

I have also seen a few of my friends just look at each other and say "I'm not willing to fight. Let's give up walk away and get a fresh start." Most of these will walk away lesson learned and in a few years buy another home. This time smaller, cheaper, and smarter.

 

I've been asking myself for the last few days, "Do they have the right idea?" We have worked very hard for several years painfully putting the Chateau back together. It never seems to get better. We are still missing ceilings, flooring, doors are busted, there are holes in walls were moldy chunks have been removed. I wonder should we walk away? Would it be morally repugnant? Where would we go?

 

As an accountant I've done the math. It makes no fiscal sense to keep our Falling Down House yet, we do. We hang on with both hands that are slowly losing their grip. Our hearts are broken, our spirits are weak. Do we continue to make our children live in a place like this? Would it be safer to leave? Is there a place or people we can turn to for help?

 

I have no answers just more and more questions. C doesn't seem to have any idea either. I look to him for guidance and he just lowers his head and says "I don't know Sher." He walks away and we both dream of something better, something that seems so far out of reach.

 

Our little girl has surgery next week to place tubes in her ears. She has had ear infections almost non-stop since February. I ask myself as most mothers do "Is this my fault?"

I have the added burden of did the house cause this? If we lived in a safer, cleaner house, one with ceilings, and one that there is nothing moldy or broken would she have had this? Would she have become hard of hearing? Would she be struggling learning how to walk and talk? Could walking away from the Chateau Ghetto have prevented her pain?

 

I just don't know, and not knowing is killing me….

 

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment