Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Maudlin and Morose

In the last 4 days I have attended a wedding and a funeral. It has left me feeling sad and gloomy. I am in a funk and when I am in a funk only a few things can pull me out of it. One of those things is Oscar Wilde.

So, I pulled out my favorite quotes from him a read them. I am starting to feel better and I thought I would share them with you.

 

If you like them then I suggest that you should check out his plays. The Best one is “The Importance of Being Ernest”.

 

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

Oscar Wilde

A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.

Oscar Wilde

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up.

Oscar Wilde

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.

At twilight, nature is not without loveliness, though perhaps its chief use is to illustrate quotations from the poets.

Oscar Wilde

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Oscar Wilde

Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter.

Oscar Wilde

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.

Oscar Wilde

Genius is born--not paid.

Oscar Wilde

I always like to know everything about my new friends, and nothing about my old ones.

Oscar Wilde

I am not young enough to know everything.

Oscar Wilde

I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability.

Oscar Wilde

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Oscar Wilde

Illusion is the first of all pleasures.

Oscar Wilde

It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless information.

Oscar Wilde

It is always a silly thing to give advice, but to give good advice is fatal.

Oscar Wilde

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Oscar Wilde

Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace.

Oscar Wilde

Most modern calendars mar the sweet simplicity of our lives by reminding us that each day that passes is the anniversary of some perfectly uninteresting event.

Oscar Wilde

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Music makes one feel so romantic - at least it always gets on one's nerves - which is the same thing nowadays.

Oscar Wilde

One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation.

Oscar Wilde

One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.

Oscar Wilde

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

Oscar Wilde

 

 

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment