Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Great-Grandpa's Desk

My great-grandfather was a stonemason. I’ve mentioned this before. However, among John Johnson’s many talents was woodworking. He made a desk out of Danish pine. It is a beautiful desk with straight lines typified in Scandinavian furniture. John was from a place called Hjorring Denmark and he moved to Utah when he was a teenager. My mother had a strong connection with him and still takes of him with great love. When my mother was newly married she and my father took a class on furniture building a refinishing. Mom borrowed the desk from her parents and painstakingly refinished it. It was beautiful. When she went to return it Grandma didn’t want it. The desk sat in our home all growing up and I fell in love with it when I was very small. I was so much in love with that desk that as a little girl I wrote underneath it “Sherilyn loves this table”. Two years ago when my parents moved to Utah my mother passed the desk down to me. She knew my love for the desk and the connection I have always felt to the man that built it even though he was long dead before I was born. Mom said she knew she could trust me to treasure it and keep it safe.

 

I failed…

 

Yesterday while I was at work someone broke into our home and destroyed Great-Grandpa’s desk. It is in pieces all over my kitchen. What the attacker didn’t rip to pieces he/she took a knife to and carved up…

 

 

How do you replace or repair something like that and who could possibly be that mean???

 

PS… They also stole my wedding ring…

0 comments:

Post a Comment