Monday, April 2, 2012

Platform Bed

Pin It

I finally got off my butt and made the platform bed I wrote about almost a year ago. It took longer than I thought it would but then we made some mistakes that had to be corrected along the way.

We went to Lowe's and picked up 5 2x4's that were 8 feet in length. The cost $1.86.
Then we needed 2 sheets of plywood. They cost about $10.00 each. We also picked up some 5/16 inch bolts 6 inches long with washers and nuts.

We were even able to use a bunch of the wood in the backyard from the old Gazebo that used to surround the pool back there.

Step one Cut all the wood

Mock up frame
 Our bed is a Cal-King so we made the frame 72x84 to fit out mattress.
I painted the frame Country Cottage

 I went to Ace Hardware last weekend and got the free quart of paint they offered. They tinted it the color I want and were just generally awesome and made me wonder why I shop Home Depot?
This time I was smart enough to use a drop cloth

 In the backyard was some old 4x4's we used for the legs. Don't forget to use bolts to attach the legs for added strength. You do not want to rely on wood screws! We ended up putting in a few braces using 2x4's in between the two sides for added support. I was being paranoid.
The kids had a great time playing with the frame

 We placed the plywood on the top and I had the brilliant idea to screw it down and then use the Circular saw to cut the excess off. I had this idea because C and I had carried the plywood up and down the stairs a few times and we were just tired. We ended up cutting into the frame a bit. So in hindsight we wouldn't do that again. The second sheet of plywood we cut as close to the frame as we dared being that tired. Next week we will cut the last extra off with the jigsaw.

This is what it looked like when we placed the 2nd plywood piece on top.

I'll post the finished picture next week when my new bedding set comes in and I get the headboard and wallpaper done but right now I just feel good about not sleeping on a mattress on the floor anymore.

I plan on making one of these beds for Goo and Gouda. It will be nice to have all the family off the floor and on real beds. Then the house won't look like a crack flop house anymore.


0 comments:

Post a Comment